Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lviv-cation aaaaaand sickness.

Hello, Beautiful People! I'm a little late on updating this time, but earlier this week I MEANT to tell you all about my day-trip to Lviv/Lvov, a BEAUTIFUL city in Western Ukraine (where, by the way, people are a-speaking the Ukrainian and not-a-so much the Russian). I went with two great American friends, one of which has lived in this city before and took us to some of her favorite places. Here I am with Pushkin (notice the chops, A.S. Pushkin style) outside the Lviv/Lvov Opera.


We decided to take the night-train on Saturday night, arriving in Lvov at 7:30am (just in time for sunrise!) we had a lovely walk into the center of the city, encountered our first non-Russian speaking establishment, and then began studying some simple Ukrainian phrases. Ukrainian and Russian are very similar, but some important words are completely different, like "Bud' laska" instead of "Pozhalusta" (please), and "D'yakuyu" instead of "Spasibo" (Thank-you). We successfully avoided any further language issues as we made it to the center. Here's a lovely market where I bought myself a pretty Ukrainian scarf!


We spent most of the day just exploring the city --- it's quite small, so it wasn't hard to do. The architecture was GORGEOUS and even though it was a Sunday, the atmosphere was lively and there were plenty of people milling about. (Not that you can tell from my photos, because I try not to take my bright-pink camera out in crowds of people... but I promise, it was a happenin' place!)



Our previous Lviv/Lvov-inhabitant friend took us to some sweet places, including a cafe named for the inventor of masochism (where the waitresses will handcuff and whip you if you let them) and a place called Dom Legenda (House of Legends) where a large part of the waitstaff are under 4'9 and you can ride in a flying car on the roof. No pictures allowed inside, but here's a nice view from the top :)


A good trip, and we made it back to the train station in time for our 15-hour train ride home. I love train rides in Eastern Europe --- this time the Ukrainians next to us taught us how to play "Durak" ("Fool," a Russian card game) and we played for HOURS until bedtime. I sleep like a baby on the train, but honestly, sleeping on my bed in Kiev is like sleeping on a set of overly-creaky stairs wrapped in burlap... So I guess the train compartment has something to boast about.

Also, I got REALLY sick this weekend, and am still recovering... but we had thanksgiving anyway. Stay tuned for details!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment