Sunday, October 16, 2011

Vacation? Oh, ok!


It's been a while since I updated, but that's not because I've been busy working --- I was given an unexpected vacation! The school postponed the start date for our next session by a week, giving me a week to explore more of Kiev, as well as to take a looooovely weekend trip to...


...ODESSA! Southern Ukraine, right on the Black Sea, and small enough to walk around in two days. I got tickets on a night train for less than $25 round trip (I love Eastern Europe). Highlights: Watched the sun rise over the sea, went swimming at the beach, spoke a LOT of Russian with some new friends (travelers from Russia), went to a vintage market, took TONS of pictures, and went out for Georgian food (Hachipurri!) I also saw jellyfish for the first time, and learned that the Russian word for jellyfish is "Medusa." This was my favorite "Jellyfish-watching" spot:


Earlier in the week I explored more of Kiev with a new Ukrainian friend. First stop was the Marinksii park, which is full or memorials, statues, and great views of the river Dnipr. Next up was the Lavra, a maze-like construction of churches built on the slop of a giant hill, and finally Mat' Rodina (Mother of the Motherland): An enormous statue to commemorate military heroes. Look, pictures!


And as if that weren't enough, I also bought tickets to an opera for next weekend, went to a book market with my Russian teacher, found new friends at an English conversation club, and made plans to go to a soccer game on Thursday. So much news! But this week I'm back to teaching classes, so that means less time for exploring the city. Plenty of time for that on the weekends, though, and I'm sure my new students will keep me entertained :)

'Til next time!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment